New Section of Staffordboro Blvd. Commuter Lot Opens Monday
HOV carpooling (also known as slugging) will move to a designated area in the new section of the lot. Signs will be posted to direct users to this pickup area. The new area is also visible on the map of the new lot (below).
Buses should collect passengers at the new bus bay area, and follow the recommended traffic patterns to enter and exit the lot.
There is no net loss of parking spaces, VDOT said. Before this phase of construction, 882 parking spaces were available, and 912 spaces will be available on September 15. The number of handicapped accessible parking spaces will double to 28 spaces.
The original Park & Ride lot closed at 11 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 12. It will remain closed as VDOT paves the lot and paints new lane markings.
The completed $12.9 million expansion of the Staffordboro Boulevard Park & Ride facility is expected to open in late October 2014. It will contain 1,865 parking spaces, more than twice as many as before the expansion. In addition, it will include:
• A consolidated, central location for carpool pickup and drop-off.
• A bus pickup and drop-off bay that can accommodate four passenger buses.
• An extended sidewalk along Staffordboro Boulevard.
• Left and right turn lanes into a new lot entrance on Staffordboro Boulevard.
• A roundabout that connects the commuter lot to Doc Stone Road, Juggins Road and Moncure Lane, improving access management to the site.
Stay connected. Follow Fredericksburg.Today on Facebook and Twitter, too.