Greater Fredericksburg Habitat for Humanity on “Town Talk”
By Susan Larson
Greater Fredericksburg Habitat for Humanity Director of Operations Jason Tickle and Veteran’s Build Co-Chair Gayle Bracy were my guests on WFVA 1230 AM’s “Town Talk” on March 30. Following are some of the key points we discussed, along with contact information. Click the hyperlinks for more information.
Habitat for Humanity
– Habitat was founded in 1976 by Millard and Linda Fuller, with the goal of eliminating poverty housing. Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter are Habitat’s most famous volunteers.
– Families in need of decent shelter apply to local Habitat affiliates.
– The affiliate’s family selection committee chooses homeowners based on their level of need, their willingness to become partners in the program and their ability to repay the no-interest loan. Becoming partners in the program includes volunteer hours.
Greater Fredericksburg Habitat for Humanity
– Serves the City of Fredericksburg and the counties of Spotsylvania, Stafford and King George.
– Sponsors build programs including Veterans Build, Womens Build, Thrivent Builds and Corporate Team Builds.
– Provides A Brush with Kindness, a program where volunteers perform home maintenance for struggling homeowners based on income level, need and willingness to partner in the program.
The Greater Fredericksburg Habitat for Humanity ReStore, located at 4755 Jefferson Davis Hwy., in Fredericksburg, is a discount home improvement store that accepts and resells new and used appliances, furniture, home accessories and building materials. Donations are made by individuals, businesses, stores and contractors. The donated items are available for sale to the public at a fraction of the retail price. Donated items are also used in the building of Habitat homes. Revenues from ReStore sales go directly to the Greater Fredericksburg Habitat for Humanity’s programs. Donations are accepted before 4 p.m. Monday-Saturday. Builders and contractors are encouraged to donated left-over materials.
Featured items can be viewed on Habitat’s For Sale page and the item of the day is posted on ReStore’s Facebook page.
Yes, you can volunteer for a construction team. But that’s not all. Volunteers are needed for family support, public relations, resource development, technology, administrative support and the ReStore. Additionally, monetary contributions and land donations are always welcome. For information, send an email to [email protected] or call 540-891-5009.
Upcoming Special Events
2015 Ride Virginia Poker Run. Register by April 23 for the April 25 event.
The Community Give on May 5, 2015.
“Town Talk” Hosts Habitat for Humanity, Faith Leaders, CRRL and More
Fredericksburg Today Hosts WFVA’s “Town Talk”
Follow Fredericksburg.Today on Facebook and on Twitter @Fxbg2day