Virginia Sales Tax Holiday, Tax-Free Weekend
Virginia’s sales tax holiday offers shoppers the opportunity to buy qualifying school supplies, clothing and footwear, hurricane preparedness items, and certain energy-efficient products without paying state and local sales tax.
What items are tax exempt?
– Most school and office supplies, such as pens, loose-leaf paper, scissors, binders, backpacks, and construction paper priced at $20 or less
– Clothing and footwear, priced at $100 or less per item or pair
– Batteries, flashlights, bottled water, tarps, duct tape, fire extinguishers, cell-phone chargers, smoke detectors, buckets, rope, and first aid kits priced at $60 or less
– Gas-powered chainsaws priced at $350 or less and chainsaw accessories priced at $60 or less
– Portable generators priced at $1,000 or less
– Energy Star-labeled dishwashers, washing machines, air conditioners, ceiling fans, light bulbs, dehumidifiers, and refrigerators priced at $2,500 or less
– WaterSense-labeled sink faucets, faucet accessories, aerators, shower heads, toilets, urinals, and landscape irrigation controllers priced at $2,500 or less
Keep in mind:
– All retailers who sell the exempt products are required to participate in the sales tax holiday.
– Retailers may choose to pay the sales tax on any taxable items and pass the savings on to customers.
– Online purchases of qualifying products are exempt from the sales tax as long as orders are placed and paid for during the August 5 – 7, 2016, exemption period, and the sellers have the items available for immediate shipment.
For more information, see:
– Sales Tax Holiday Details for Consumers
– Sales Tax Holiday Details for Retailers