Get the daily newsletter!

Stafford man arrested after high speed chase and wreck

The Stafford Sheriff’s Office says a suspected intoxicated driver was arrested Wednesday after a short pursuit and dramatic accident near the Rappahannock Regional Jail.
Authorities say about 3:07 p.m. the Fredericksburg Police Department provided a “Be On the Lookout” to the Stafford County Sheriff’s Office for a suspect in an assault case. The suspect was identified as 30-year old Tyreke Ellis of Stafford who was reported to be driving a grey Acura with Pennsylvania registration. Ellis was suspected to be intoxicated and believed to be armed.
Within minutes Sergeant R.K. Pinkard located the suspect vehicle northbound on U.S. 1 and was joined by First Sergeant D.F. Purcell, Jr. The duo witnessed indicators for intoxicated driving and noticed Ellis had his phone in his hand and was not properly restrained in the vehicle. A traffic stop was attempted as Ellis approached Hospital Center Boulevard.
Instead of stopping, Ellis made a sudden U-turn and accelerated to over 80 mph on southbound U.S. 1, initiating a pursuit. He passed several cars by travelling over the double yellow line in a pursuit that lasted approximately one minute and went eight tenths of a mile. As Ellis neared the jail, he lost control and swerved into a southbound SUV, causing the SUV to flip several times and land on its’ roof in the southbound lanes. Ellis crashed into the ditch, disabling his vehicle.
Ellis exited his vehicle, but refused to comply with directions to surrender. Captain R.H. Davis, II had arrived on scene and was able to effectively and efficiently take Ellis into custody. The driver of the SUV was transported to the hospital with what appeared to be minor injuries.
Ellis was checked at the hospital and charged with felony eluding, DUI, no driver’s license, improper passing, no seatbelt and holding a phone while driving. Additionally, he was served warrants from Fredericksburg for assault, domestic assault and vandalism. He was held without bond at the Rappahannock Regional Jail.
Photos courtesy Stafford Sheriff’s Office

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This