“Improper discarded smoking material” causes fire in Prince William
Prince William Fire and Rescue says Friday afternoon, units were dispatched to the 7000 block of Dublin Drive for a reported house fire. Crews arrived with fire showing to the rear of the home. The structure sustained extensive damage. No injuries were reported.
The Building Official declared the home unsafe to occupy. The Red Cross responded to assist the 3 adult occupants displaced by the incident. The Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire started on the rear deck and extended into the home. Improper discarded smoking material was the ignition source.
Prince William fire officials say smoking materials should never be discarded in or around combustible materials. Smoking materials should be discarded using water or properly discarded into a non-combustible container to ensure extinguishment. Smoking areas should be clearly marked and have appropriate means to safely discard smoking materials. During extreme drought conditions or periods of low humidity business owners and homeowners should consider keeping mulch moist by watering.