Paving begins Wednesday in Fredericksburg
VDOT says beginning Wednesday, travelers will encounter brief overnight delays and a temporary rough ride on Route 1 and Route 3 in the City of Fredericksburg as crews resurface the road and freshen lane markings.
Work will begin the evening of Wednesday, Sept. 27, and will be underway for approximately four weeks. Crews will be resurfacing the following sections along Route 1 and Route 3:
- Route 1 northbound between Idlewild Boulevard and Cowan Boulevard
- Route 3 (Plank Road) eastbound between Altoona Drive and Huntington Hills Lane
- Route 3 (Plank Road) eastbound and westbound between Huntington Hills Lane and William Street
- Route 3 (Blue and Gray Parkway) eastbound and westbound between William Street and Route 1 Business (Lafayette Boulevard)
- On- and off-ramps for the Route 1 and Route 3 interchange
As sections of Route 1 and Route 3 are milled, travelers will encounter a temporary rough ride until asphalt crews return to place fresh asphalt. Temporary lane markings may also guide travelers until permanent lane markings are placed on new asphalt.
Lane closures for this work zone have been scheduled at the following times to avoid peak travel patterns:
Route 1 and Route 3
Sunday through Thursday evenings, ending early Friday morning.
8 p.m. – 5 a.m.
When resurfacing begins at the on- and off-ramps for the Route 1 and Route 3 interchange, nightly ramp closures will be needed to complete the work. A detour will be posted on those evenings.
The approximately 2-mile resurfacing effort on Route 1 and Route 3 will cover approximately 5 lane miles of road at an estimated cost of $1.3 million dollars. The project contractor is Allan Myers, Inc.
Message boards are being placed along Route 1 and Route 3 to alert travelers to the upcoming work zone.
Work has been scheduled to occur weather permitting.
Check 511Virginia.org for real-time updates on lane closures for these work zones, and for traffic conditions.
Join the VDOT Fredericksburg District Facebook group page